Saturday, December 09, 2006

Network Neutrality is safe for now: HR 5252 is dead!

Like most average Joes and Janes, I didn’t realize that the Internet was in jeopardy until just the other day. It appears that Senator Ted Stevens was pushing HR 5252 referred to as the Telco bill. The Telco bill would have ended Network Neutrality and would have sent America spiraling into what I perceive as a modern version of George Orwell’s novel 1984. Maybe the term spiraling is a little harsh, but the bill, had it passed would have definitely clogged the pipes of the Internet.
I don’t know about you, but I’m glad to see that the 109th congress saw fit to kill the bill. Network Neutrality has been part of the Internet since its inception and it should remain as such. Anything but Network Neutrality is an infringement on our freedoms and the American way of life. As a matter of fact, since the bill was killed, I feel like the munchkins from the Wizard of Oz after Dorothy’s house crushed the wicked witch. Maybe, I should put my ruby red slippers on and sing the wicked bill is dead!

For related information see the following:
Slashdot
Huge victory for real people
David Warlick’s post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home