Monday, December 17, 2007

Web 2.0 Student Planning

I was visiting Vicki Davis’ latest post and it seems that she has her students doing some Web 2.0 planning. All of their initial plans look great, but I particularly like the first one. It’s a private school wide social network for parents, students, grandparents, and teachers. Facebook, Bebo, and Myspace move over for Vicki’s class! In Vicki’s words,


“The students decided immersive learning is the best. Additionally, they wanted the elementary students to participate. After a meeting with me, I set up
the site, they joined and I made them administrators (yes I did.) They customized the look, added RSS feeds, and have just done a tremendous job. They are in the process of setting up groups for every class.”

My first thought is what a great concept and tool. My second thought deals with safety issues. My last thought on the issue is a question, How long are we going to wait before we get on board and start implementing these technologies for the good of our students? Of course, I realize that we have to make sure that security is in place, but we must also move forward when we are able.

In most cases our curriculums are out dated due to circumstance. What is the circumstance? Most curriculum coordinators know little or nothing about technology. Technology has advanced at such a rapid pace that it has left most teachers, coordinators, and systems behind. Personally, I have to make time to investigate theses new technologies. That’s what I’m doing right now. Then I have to figure out whether or not they apply to my classes and if we can use them safely. This is exactly what Vicki is doing with her students.

Warm regards,

William Bishop (Bill)

Technorati Tags:

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher said...

We are seeing some very exciting results with this program. The parents are very excited about learning about these tools AND in giving their kids a safe alternative to myspace and facebook. (We've found some of our kids lying about their age to get onto these sites.)

The parents are loving it and saying "I get it!!! I love it!" and kids learning what is safe.

Parents and teachers are asking how the friend thing works. They are asking who can see things. They are asking the kinds of questions they need to be asking. It is truly one of the greatest things I think we've ever done at the school.

We'll see what happens!

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home