Friday, May 11, 2007

100th Blog Post and Silvia Tolisano

I feel like it’s my birthday today because this is my 100th blog post since I started blogging back in October of 2006. As such, I was contemplating the significance of this blog and I have come to the realization that it has helped me more professionally than I could have ever imagined. I am constantly reading other blogs, searching the web, digital social networking and trying to keep up with emergent technologies. Who would have ever imagined that I would gain so much knowledge just by keeping an ole blog? I guess it’s like Joel Osteen says, “If you have a need, plant a seed.” As result of planting this blog seed, I am constantly coming across relevant information and networking in and beyond the blogosphere.

Today I finally connected with Silvia Tolisano aka Langwitches. Silvia was a part of the 2006 K12online conference, but somehow I overlooked her presentation. Luckily, I found it and contacted her today due to Vickie Davis’ blog. Silvia was a very fortuitous find as I had been looking for someone that was using iPods, and podcasting with Spanish classes. I can’t believe that I had overlooked her for so long. Chris Craft had mentioned her name but somehow during our conversation I didn’t make the connection. Moreover, she added me as a friend on the Classroom 2.0 network at ning a while back and I still didn’t make the connection. The “langwitches” bit kept throwing me off. I didn’t associate the “lang” with language. The Forest Gump, adage “Stupid is as stupid does” seems quite fitting for my failure to make the connection with lang and language. I’m sorry Silvia!

Who is Silvia Tolisano and why am I so flattered to be social networking with her? Silvia aka Langwitches was born in Germany, raised in Argentina, and is currently living in the United States. She holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Spanish with a Minor in International Relations and a Masters in Education with an emphasis on Instructional Technology. I bet she speaks German too. What a cool contact! Silvia is also responsible for a number of great sites (e.g. langwitches, langwitchesblog, langwitches wiki, langwitches podcast, langwitches mobile blog, travel blog Argentina, and a Spanish II blog). Did I mention that she was also a part of the 2006 K12online conference?

I have been browsing through her sites and they’re all wonderful. She provides a wealth of information covering numerous topics. If you have been overlooking Silvia aka Langwitches, I suggest checking out her sites. I love her headings at the langwitches’ sites, “The magic of language learning through technology and the magic of learning through technology.” Now I understand the name “langwitches.” Just call me Forest! After all, I am from Alabama and I did graduate from the University of Alabama, so if the shoe fits…

What a fortuitous find for my 100th blog post!

P.S. The picture is for Silvia aka langwitches.

Regards,

William Bishop (Bill)

Technorati Tags:

5 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Hi Bill,

Silvia has appeared many times on my blog this year and I'm very grateful for her support.

Here are the highlights:

http://joedale.typepad.com/integrating_ict_into_the_/2007/04/breaking_down_t.html

http://joedale.typepad.com/integrating_ict_into_the_/2007/02/silvia_tolisano.html

http://joedale.typepad.com/integrating_ict_into_the_/2007/02/the_magic_of_fo.html

http://joedale.typepad.com/integrating_ict_into_the_/2006/09/using_camera_ph.html

http://joedale.typepad.com/integrating_ict_into_the_/2006/08/interview_with_.html

Here is also a set of links about using iPods to enhance language learning:
http://joedale.typepad.com/integrating_ict_into_the_/ipods/index.html

Best wishes

Joe

6:16 AM  
Blogger Langwitches said...

Bill,
Thank you for your kind words and that cool picture of the witch. I really enjoyed it.
Languages and Technology are my passion and it was never a doubt in my mind that I was going to combine them. Actually I started out with a site called "Sprachhexen" which means "Language Witches" in German in 1999. Sprachhexen was/is a site to help parents living abroad raise their children bilingual.
http://www.sprachhexen.com.

During that time I was raising my own young three daughters bilingual (German/English). Once I went back to school and became a Spanish teacher, the focus shifted a bit to teaching a second language. You can check the Teaching section out at:
http://www.sprachhexen.com/teaching/index.htm

Unfortunately there is not much time left to dedicate to Sprachhexen at this point...Langwitches has taken over...

Thanks again for the mention in your blog.

Greetings from Florida
Silvia

7:50 AM  
Blogger WBishop said...

Thanks for the comment Silvia. I will be in touch with you over the next few years and maybe beyond.

5:29 PM  
Blogger WBishop said...

Talk about a cup of Joe. I'm not a coffee drinker. I'm too young. But I do like the comment that Joe left and the links. I will be looking into his blog more. Thanks Joe!

5:31 PM  
Blogger Dogtrax said...

Congrats on 100! Keep on writing and sharing and reflecting.

Peace,
Kevin

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home