Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Digital History Website: How cool is this?

Yesterday, I blogged about the FCIT the various educational online resources available at their website. I particularly highlighted their teacher’s guide to the holocaust area and suggested that the readers of my blog check it out. I ended my post with the following quote: “those who don’t remember the past are condemned to repeat it!” -George Santayana. What a powerful quote! Anyway, today I was more than fortuitous because I found one of the best online historical resouces ever. This educational resource is fundamentally superb, not just in content, but also in technological design. What do I mean by technological design? This site is user friendly, graphically appealing, and highly functional as websites go.

What is it? It is a digital history interactive website and the description of superb doesn’t begin to do the site justice. I have spent the better half of the last hour awe struck by the incredible historical resources this site has to offer. My favorite feature is the digital historical interactive timeline. What is a digital historical interactive timeline? It’s a really cool interactive timeline covering U.S. history from 1580 to present.

What does it do? Using your mouse, you slide a bar along a timeline beginning in 1580 and watch history unfold to the present day on an interactive map. As you move forward in time, historical points of interest appear on the map as icons. These icons are hyperlinked and can be clicked to link to more detailed information about each particular era in U.S. history. How cool is this? If you’re a history teacher or just a history buff, you owe it to yourself to check out this more than superb interactive website and timeline.

Even I could teach history with this site as a supplement and that’s saying a lot. Hence, I am sitting here contemplating how I can make the site applicable for my Spanish classes. I’m sure I’ll find a way. Maybe I will use the Mexican voices section to teach cultural diversity. Anyway, teaching across the curriculum never looked better.

I’d like to thank i.e. magazine for this fortuitous find. I’ll definitely keep reading i.e. magazine, not just for the great articles by people like Wesley Fryer, but also for the incredible links.

History teachers, leave a comment and let me know what you think about the digital history website.

Thanks

William Bishop (Bill)

Technorati Tags:

1 Comments:

Blogger WBishop said...

I enjoy sharing information with others. Maybe, some of my readers will find the information informative. Thanks for the positive comments. It means a lot comming from someone like you. You have done and continue to do so much for the students of Alabama.

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home