Monday, November 20, 2006

Presentation 2.0: Beyond Bullet Points

Presentation 2.0: Beyond Bullet Points

Recently, I listened to a podcast by Vicki A. Davis interviewing Patrick Crispen entitled “How terroist will target US citizens with passports and more technology that will affect your future and that of your classroom.” The podcast addressed a variety of current issues (e.g. RFID, IPTV, HDTV, etc.). During the interview Patrick made reference to presentation 2.0 and it sparked my interest.

Presentation 2.0 like Web 2.0 is more of an ideology than something concrete. Nevertheless, since it has been conceptualized, like Web 2.0, Presentation 2.0 has the potential of becoming something concrete with the correct framework. Does a framework exist for Presentation 2.0? I’m not sure yet. Should one exist, someone point me in the right direction, please.

Before I try and explain the concept of Presentation 2.0 as I see it, please allow me to explain what it isn’t. Presentation 2.0 is not the old boring power point presentation that puts everyone to sleep. You know what I’m talking about. We have all been to faculty meetings, business meetings, and workshops where the presenter presented their slide show in a fashion that made us think about suicide. Maybe not suicide, but you get the idea. Additionally, I am sure that we have presented presentations for our classes or co-workers that had the same effect. How sad! With Presentation 2.0, it doesn’t have to be like that. Want to know more, read on!

What is Presentation 2.0? Presentation 2.0 is a no nonsense approach to presentations. Some would call it a presentation beyond bullet points. For example, Cliff Atkinson has a site called, “beyondbullets.com” and uses the abbreviation bbp to explain the concept. However, maybe Patrick suggested the best example in Vicki’s interview. Patrick suggests, that everyone have a look at Dick Hardt’s Identity 2.0 presentation. Well, turns out that I didn’t know Dick.

Dick’s Identity 2.0 presentation is one of the best presentations ever. So, if you don’t know what Identity 2.0 is, or if you just want to see the best presentation ever, I suggest taking the time to watch Dick's presentation. As a result of viewing his presentation, it is my current and future goal to learn more about Presentation 2.0 and apply it to all of my presentations. I'm sure that my students and co-workers will benefit from my efforts and hopefully avoid thoughts of suicide.

I’d like to thank Vicki A. Davis and Patrick Crispen for giving me something to write about, as well as introducing the concept of Presentation 2.0 through Identity 2.0. I just hope that I can apply the concept as well as Dick Hardt.

Technorati Tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home