Monday, January 15, 2007

Moodle it, just a little bit!

Moodle it, just a little bit!

We have just got Moodle up and running in my school. Actually another teacher/tech guy and I are the only two teachers currently utilizing the software and we are just getting started. I had an orientation session last Friday with all of my classes to help them learn to Moodle. Mainly, they just learned how to navigate Moodle. This week I plan to use the software to teach course content. Wish me luck.

If you’re not familiar with Moodle, it is free open source software (FOSS) that allows educators to set up online style courses. More specifically,

“Moodle is a course management system (CMS) - a free, Open Source software package designed using sound pedagogical principles, to help educators create effective online learning communities. You can download and use it on any computer you have handy (including webhosts), yet it can scale from a single-teacher site to a 50,000-student University. This site itself is created using Moodle, so check out the Moodle Demonstration Courses or read the latest Moodle Buzz.”

It reminds me a lot of BlackBoard and other non-foss software that is currently available on the market. As for my classes, I plan to continue to use the Moodle in combination with our blog and wiki to better prepare my students for the 21 century.

What can educators do with Moodle? Moodle gives educators a medium for setting up online style classes. The applications built in the software package allow educators to build exams, tests, quizzes, and set up assignments. Additionally, a resource area allows importation of a variety of files and/or links. There is a messaging area, forum, wiki and chat area within Moodle as well. I will keep you all posted as to how the software is working for my classes as we Moodle about some more. If you’re interested in adding some zest to your classes through technology, then I suggest that you talk with your technology coordinator about looking into Moodle for your system. After all, you can’t argue with the price of the software. It’s FREE.

Technorati Tags:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats on the new Moodle install! I blog about Moodle periodically, and have been using it now for a few months. I have been working on integrating some outside tools like Gcast and Slideshare, both solid tools, as well as the mediafilter plugin in Moodle.

Enjoy, and if my blog can help, here is the link to everything about Moodle!

http://opensource.christophercraft.com/index.php?tag=moodle

Yours,

Chris

7:53 PM  
Blogger john in nc said...

Bill, your small-scale adoption of Moodle is impressive! In our first Learning Fair session for the ABPC 21st C Schools yesterday we were hearing about Madison County's district-wide implementation of Moodle... but you're showing that you don't have to wait for the district to see the light. Be sure to talk about this during Haleyville's presentation in Elluminate tomorrow!

John Norton, ABPC

12:51 PM  
Blogger WBishop said...

I am just scratching the surface right now. However, in the future I plan to use Moodle more and more with my classes. The potential of Moodle looks unlimited from where I am sitting. Thanks for the comment...

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home